Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Note Cards... Or a Blog (no this isn't task avoidance)

"About the note cards, does anyone know how to make a blog?" My children's literature teacher asked our class today. Of course, since we've grown up in the age of technology, many students in the class raised their hands, not sure where Sister Steiner was going with that thought. "If you know how, you can make a blog instead of writing a note card for each book we'll be reading this semester."

I'm looking forward to the rest of this semester in this class because we get to read many good books, including  Beauty by Robin McKinley, which is my favorite book. There are lots of titles of books that I haven't heard of before that we are reading, but they sound good from what Sister Steiner has told us about them.

The one book I've read part of is The Read-Aloud Handbook by Tim Trelease and I'm really enjoying it. It is about how important it is to read to kids so that they learn to love to read. I'm grateful that my parents took the time to read to me and for giving me a love of learning. 

I've already set up a blog for class with some of the covers of the required readings for my class, if any one would like to read it, you can find it at http://booklover-robertson.blogspot.com/

Thank you Mom and Dad

8 comments:

Andrea said...

I LOVE Jim Trelease's The Read Aloud Handbook!!!! So good! Apparently there is a second one which I have yet to read. I'm looking forward to hearing some good book suggestions!

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy what Trelease talks about. I do have to warn you that my book blog has to have the endings of the books. After I finish my class, I'll be changing that.

Andrea said...

Thanks for the warning! A suggestion: maybe put a tag for the genre of each book. That might help with your assignment cause don't you have to read so many of each genre?

Grammyzanne said...

Children's Literature was one of my favorite classes. I won't forget a class of college juniors insisting the professor continue/finish reading "Bedtime for Francis" after he'd read enough to make his point that children can distinguish between fantasy and reality.

CtrlAltJack said...

I enjoy reading a book even when I do know the ending. Its kind of like watching a movie the second time. You catch more details about people's motives and connections.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that suggestion Andrea. Jack I like to reread books after I've read them for the same reason, I love to see things I didn't get before because I was too excited to read the book the first time. That's funny Aunt Suzanne. Did your professor finish reading the book?

Joanne said...

Sounds like a fun class - wouldn't it be nice if it were required for graduation - parents would have a jump start on good books to read to their children. I'll check out your new blog.

Tamara Robertson Turner said...

Sounds like a great class. Glad you're enjoying it. Fun how you set up your Book blog with pix of the book covers.